EAT SMART NUTRITION CONSULTANTS
Vegetarian moussaka (serves 4-6)
|1 eggplant, sliced
1 onion, diced
½ red capsicum, de-seeded and sliced
2 zucchini, diced
6 button mushrooms, diced
440g can diced tomatoes
150g tomato paste
|1 tablespoon soy sauce
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried basil
375g ricotta cheese
150ml light evaporated milk
5 potatoes, sliced and par-cooked
¼ cup low fat grated cheese
¼ cup sliced sun dried tomatoes (not in oil)
1. Pre-heat oven to 180oC. Par cook potato (steam/microwave).
2. Lightly spray eggplant with oil and grill, turning once for 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
3. Spray a frypan with oil and cook onion and capsicum over medium heat for 5 minutes or until soft. Add zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes, tomato paste, soy sauce and herbs, season with salt/pepper, then simmer for 15 minutes until the sauce thickens slightly.
4. Combine ricotta and evaporated milk in a bowl.
5. Cover the base of a lasagne dish with a layer of par-cooked potato slices, a layer of eggplant, then a layer of vegetable mix. Repeat, then top with ricotta cheese mix.
6. Sprinkle with grated cheese then place sun dried tomatoes evenly on the top. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.