EAT SMART NUTRITION CONSULTANTS
Lamb Shanks (serves 6)
|6 lean lamb shanks
400g can of tomatoes
Glass of red wine
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
300ml of water or stock
|Cup of barley (optional)
Big handful of fresh herbs
Large bowl full of chopped vegetables such as celery, onions, leeks, carrots, parsnip, turnip and whole garlic cloves
1. Pre-heat oven to 180oC.
2. Heat oil in a heavy based saucepan and brown the shanks.
3. Add the vegetables and soften. Remove the shanks and vegies, then add the wine and water/stock to the saucepan and cook until reduced.
4. Place the vegetables in a large oven-proof casserole dish, season as desired, add barley, then the shanks and pour over the liquid from the saucepan. Add the tomatoes and herbs.
5. Place a heavy lid or foil over the casserole and cook for at least 2 hours.
6. Serve with extra greens as desired.