EAT SMART NUTRITION CONSULTANTS
Beef Ragout (serves 4-6)
|1- 2 tablespoons oil
800g beef, in 2cm cubes
2 onions, finely chopped
2 stalk celery, finely chopped
2 carrots, in 1cm cubes
2 potatoes, peeled, in 1cm cubes
|2 tablespoons cornflour
250ml beef stock
250ml red wine
1/3 cup chopped mint
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
½ cup frozen peas
1. Heat oil in a large fry pan and brown beef. Remove from pan and keep warm on a plate.
2. Add onion, celery, carrot and potato to pan. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables soften.
3. Return beef to pan, stir in cornflour and cook for several minutes.
4. Add stock and cook, covered, for about 30 minutes, or until meat is tender.
5. Stir in peas, mint, Worcestershire sauce and seasoning to taste.
6. Bring back to boil and simmer for another 20 minutes.
7. Serve with extra steamed green vegetables if desired.
Spiced salmon parcels (Serves 6)
|1 large bunch coriander, washed & chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 large green chilli, seeded and chopped
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 tablespoons lime juice
6 salmon steaks
|1 small bunch mint, chopped
2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons soft brown sugar
160ml light coconut milk
1. Blend fresh coriander, mint, garlic, ginger, chillies, cumin, ground coriander, sugar, lime juice and coconut in food processor until smooth.
2. Season as desired.
3. Lay a 30cm x 30cm square sheet of bake paper on a baking tray and place a salmon portion on top. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the spice mix over the salmon. Carefully wrap to make a neat parcel. Continue with remaining salmon.
4. Place the tray into a pre-heated oven at 200oC and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and serve with salad, vegetables etc as desired.
Both these recipes are gluten free as long as the appropriate cornflour and stock are used for the ragout.