EAT SMART NUTRITION CONSULTANTS
Broccoli and bean soup (serves 4-6)
|1 cup dried green flageolet beans
2 cloves garlic
2 small red chillies
|2 litres chicken or vegetable stock
1 cup small pasta e.g. farfalline
75g each of broccoli and broccolini
50g of small leaves of Gai lan or other Asian greens
1. Soak beans in water overnight (if using dried), then drain.
2. Heat ½ - tablespoon oil in a heavy based saucepan over medium heat, add thinly sliced leek, garlic and chilli (seeds removed) and sauté until soft (about 10 mins).
3. Add beans and stock, bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are tender.
4. Add pasta and cook for 5 mins, then add the greens, cooking for a further 5 mins until the pasta is al dente and the broccoli is tender. Season to taste.
5. Tip: you can substitute canned beans and reduce the cooking time when added to the stock e.g. lima, borlotti, cannelini varieties.
Couscous and chickpea salad (serves 4)
|1 cup couscous
1 cup boiling vegetable stock
125g can chickpeas
1/4 cup semi dried tomatoes, finely chopped
|1 cup cooked green beans, sliced
1 tablespoon finely chopped mint
2 tablespoons of your favourite dressing
1 cup rocket leaves
30g feta cheese, crumbled
1. Place couscous into a bowl and pour over boiling stock, stir, cover and stand for 5 mins then fluff with a fork.
2. Add drained chickpeas, tomatoes, beans, mint and dressing.
3. Serve topped with rocket and feta.
Lemon and herb dressing
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
1 tablespoon shredded basil leaves
2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons wine vinegar