EAT SMART NUTRITION CONSULTANTS
Fresh, healthy and summer friendly recipes for brunches, lunches or in between!
Low GI Zucchini Cakes (serves 10)
|4 medium zucchini, grated coarsely
1 small sweet potato, grated coarsely
2 medium corn cobs, kernels removed
2 eggs, beaten lightly
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/3 cup self-raising flour
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
400g smoked salmon
200g low fat sour cream
4-6 eggs, poached
Leftover ham off the bone
1. Using clean paper towel, squeeze excess liquid from zucchini and sweet potato until as dry as possible. Combine zucchini and potato in a medium bowl with corn, egg soda and flour. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat a small amount of oil in a non-stick frying pan; place rounded tablespoons of zucchini mixture into pan, pressing down slightly with the back of the spoon.
3. Cook in batches, until browned both sides and cooked through. Transfer to an oven tray and place, uncovered, in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining oil and zucchini mixture to make 30 cakes
4. ENTREE: Place 3 cakes on top of each other and top with a tablespoon of low fat sour cream and a slice of smoked salmon.
5. BREAKFAST: Serve 2-3 cakes with some grilled ham off the bone and 2 poached eggs.