Recipes from Holly, Kerry and Liz 15/8/05
Ricotta Stuffed Pasta Shells (serves 4)
500g conchiglie (large shell pasta)
|2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tsp crushed garlic
250g low fat chicken mince
425g can tomatoes
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste
1. Add the conchiglie to a large pan of rapidly boiling water and cook until just tender. Drain well. Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion and garlic, then stir over low heat until the onion is tender.
2. Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Add the chicken mince and brown well, breaking up any lumps with a fork as it cooks.
3. Stir in the tomato paste, undrained crushed tomatoes, water, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Combine the ricotta, ½ the mozzarella, chives and parsley. Spoon a little of the mixture into each shell. Spoon some of the chicken sauce into the base of a casserole dish. Arrange the conchiglie on top. Spread the remaining sauce over the top and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
5. Serve with a salad or greens on the side.
Cinnamon raisin toast (serves 4)
|65g low fat ricotta
2 tsp honey
1.5 tbsp caster sugar
|60g light cream cheese
½ tsp ground cinnamon
4 slices raisin toast
1. Combine ricotta, cream cheese and honey, stir until smooth.
2. Combine cinnamon and sugar.
3. Toast the bread, spread with the ricotta mixture, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
4. Serve for a nice breakfast treat on weekends.
5. You could replace the caster sugar with a sprinklable sweetener (e.g. Splenda).