Recipes from Holly, Kerry and Liz 12/9/05
Asian pork salad in lettuce cups (serves 4-6)
½ cup rice
|2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
1 carrot, peeled and grated
1 cucumber, diced
3 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar
100g bean sprouts
1 iceberg lettuce, leaves separated
1. Cook rice according to packet instructions.
2. Cook pork and stock in a non-stick frypan over medium heat until pork is tender (~10 mins). Remove from heat.
3. Add rice, water chestnuts, green shallots, coriander, mint, carrot and cucumber and mix to combine.
4. Whisk together the fish sauce, lime juice and brown sugar and pour over the pork mix. Refrigerate ~1 hour.
5. Fold through the bean sprouts and serve in lettuce cups.
From 'Survival Around the World' AIS Nutrition Dept.
Lemon steamed pudding (makes 6)
|110g (1/2 cup caster sugar)
2 eggs, separated
160ml (2/3 cup) buttermilk
2 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
|Finely grated rind of 1 ½ lemons
¼ cup plain flour
Berries to serve
1. Lightly grease 6 x ½ cup ramekins and dust with a little extra caster sugar.
2. Whisk egg whites in a bowl until soft peaks form then set aside.
3. Using an electric mixer, whisk buttermilk, lemon juice, egg yolks and lemon rind until just combined, then gradually fold in combined sifted flour, sugar and a pinch of salt.
4. Finally, fold in egg whites until just combined.
5. Divide batter amongst the 6 ramekins and place in a large roasting pan. Pour enough boiling water into the pan to come half way up the sides of the ramekins. Cover the pan with foil, lightly sprayed with oil.
6. Bake at 150C for 25minutes or until almost firm, then uncover and bake for another 15 minutes or so until tops are lightly golden and puddings spring back when gently pressed.
7. Turn out onto plates and serve warm with fresh berries.