Recipes from Holly, Kerry and Liz 26/9/05
Mediterranean Style Greens (serves 6-8)
2 bunches baby leeks, trimmed (or 1 large)
|3 sprigs thyme
5 cloves garlic, peeled/squashed
12 baby zucchini, halved in length
100g sugar snap peas, trimmed
100g baby beans
1. Cut leeks and asparagus in half if long. Blanch broad beans in boiling water, then drain and refresh in cold water. Drain and peel.
2. Bring 2 cups of water and the olive oil to the boil. Add the lemon juice, thyme and garlic, and simmer for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the leeks and cook for 2-3 minutes or until just tender. Remove with a slotted spoon. Repeat the process with the rest of the vegetables - do not overcook.
4. Cool the cooking liquid slightly. Place the vegetables and the cooking liquid in a bowl and toss gently.
5. Transfer the vegetables to a serving plate and drizzle with a little of the liquid.
Slow Roasted Lamb (serves 6-8)
|2 kg leg of lamb
3 cloves garlic, peeled, thinly sliced
Juice of 2 lemons
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
|2 tablespoons olive oil
Leaves from 2 sprigs rosemary
2 fresh bay leaves
1. Place lamb in a large baking dish. Make small incisions and push in slices of garlic. Mix the lemon juice, chilli flakes and the oil and rub over the lamb. Cover with foil and marinate at least 2 hours (or overnight).
2. Pre-heat oven to 200oC. Rub the rosemary sprigs onto the lamb. Pour 1 cup of water into the dish and add the bay leaves.
3. Cook the lamb for 10 minutes then reduce heat to 150oC and cook for a further 3 hours, adding water as it evaporates.
4. Remove the lamb from the dish and rest before slicing and serving with the greens and sweet potatoes.