Recipes from Holly, Kerry and Liz 22/1/06
Nicoise salad (serves 4-6 as a small meal)
12 small new potatoes, halved
| 8 pitted black olives
1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
4 hard boiled eggs, peeled & ¼'d
1/4 cup low fat mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1. Boil eggs then cool.
2. Steam beans for a few minutes (they need to still be crisp) and cool.
3. Boil potatoes in a saucepan for 10-20 minutes, or until cooked. Drain.
4. Combine spinach, tomatoes, beans and potatoes in a large serving bowl.
5. Flake tuna over the top and scatter with olives, basil and eggs.
6. Combine the mayonnaise, mustard and lemon juice and drizzle over the salad. Season with pepper.
Vietnamese chicken salad (serves 4-6)
1 cup finely shredded cabbage
1 carrot, finely coarsely grated
3 spring onions, sliced
¼ cup mint leaves
cup coriander leaves
125g cherry tomatoes, quartered
2 tablespoons roasted, finely chopped peanuts
1 green chilli, roughly chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 tablespoon fish sauce
cup lime juice
~1 tablespoon palm sugar
1. Boil water in a large pot. Pat the chicken dry then place in boiling water. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 mins. Remove from heat but leave in the pot, covered for 20 mins. Remove the chicken and plunge into iced water for 15 mins. Drain, then refrigerate for 30 mins.
2. To make dressing, crush the chilli and garlic together in a mortar and pestle, then add palm sugar, lime juice and fish sauce.
3. Remove the white meat from the chicken and tear into small pieces.
4. Combine chicken with cabbage, carrot, spring onion, herbs and tomatoes. Toss the dressing through and serve topped with peanuts.
Recipe dated 04/07/05
Recipe dated 18/07/05
Recipe dated 1/08/05
Recipe dated 15/08/05
Recipe dated 29/08/05
Recipe dated 12/09/05
Recipe dated 26/09/05
Recipe dated 10/10/05
Recipe dated 24/10/05
Recipe dated 07/11/05
Recipe dated 21/11/05
Recipe dated 05/12/05
Recipe dated 19/12/05
Recipe dated 09/01/06