Entertaining recipes from Holly, Kerry and Liz 21/11/05
2 teaspoons olive oil
|2 teaspoons ground cumin
4 cups / 750g cooked chickpeas (or washed and drained canned chickpeas)
2 teaspoons paprika
Heat oil in a small frypan; add chilli powder, cumin, paprika, coriander and black pepper to taste - then cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add spice mixture to chickpeas and toss to combine. Spread chickpeas over the base of a shallow ovenproof dish and bake for 1 hour at 1800C or until crunchy. Cool and store in an airtight container.
Labna (yoghurt cheese) with sesame and herbs
|500ml (2 cups) Greek style yoghurt
Pinch of salt
1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon chopped thyme leaves
|2 teaspoons chopped mint leaves
3 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
Ground black pepper
Toasted Turkish or pita bread
1. Line a sieve with a piece of muslin and set sieve over a bowl. Add salt to yoghurt, then spoon into muslin. Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge for 12 hours or overnight.
2. In a small bowl combine olive oil, herbs and toasted sesame seeds. If the mixture is quite thick add a little more olive oil. This can be stored in fridge, covered, for up to 24 hrs, but bring back to room temp before using on labna.
3. Spread labna over part of a serving plate. Drizzle with herb/sesame oil and grind over some pepper. Serve with toasted breads. (makes about 1½ cups)
Prawn and mango wraps (serves 4)
|¼ cup extra light sour cream
¼ cup low fat mayonnaise
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Sea salt/pepper to taste
750g cooked prawns, peeled and de-veined, roughly chopped (=~400g meat)
|1 large firm ripe mango
Zest of 1 lime
Finely sliced red chilli
4 x 25cm tortillas
1 bunch baby watercress or baby rocket, washed, stems discarded
1. Process sour cream, mayo, basil and chives in food processor or bamix until pale green. Season. Transfer to a bowl, add prawns and mango, lime zest and chilli to taste. Combine.
2. Heat tortillas in dry pan or microwave. Keep warm in a clean tea towel. Divide watercress or rocket between tortillas across the centre. Top with some prawn mixture, tuck in the ends then roll up tightly.
3. Cut in half diagonally to serve.
Tip: Could use rice paper rolls instead of tortillas.
Recipe dated 04/07/05
Recipe dated 18/07/05
Recipe dated 1/08/05
Recipe dated 15/08/05
Recipe dated 29/08/05
Recipe dated 12/09/05
Recipe dated 26/09/05
Recipe dated 10/10/05
Recipe dated 24/10/05
Recipe dated 07/11/05