Lunchbox ideas from Holly, Kerry and Liz 20/2/06
Lentil Pasta Burgers (serves 2-4)
75 g dried pasta (small sized)
| 4 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon yeast extract (e.g. vegemite)
4 tablespoons hot water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add the pasta and cook until tender (find the smallest shapes / sizes of pasta that you can for this dish). Drain and allow to cool slightly. Alternatively, you could use leftover pasta that has been chopped into small sizes.
2. Combine the pasta in a large mixing bowl with the lentils, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, onion and parsley.
3. Place the peanut butter, tomato paste and yeast extract and stir together with the hot water. Add this to the lentil mixture and mix well.
4. Using damp hands, divide the mixture into four equal portions and form into burger shapes.
5. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan or on a BBQ plate and cook the burgers for about 5 minutes on each side.
6. Serve hot or cold, with pita bread or burger rolls and salad. Can also be used in lunch boxes with salad.
Banana and pear loaf (makes 12 slices)
|¾ cup water
½ cup diced dried pears
60g polyunsaturated margarine
½ cup honey
1.5 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
|½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup chopped almonds
½ cup sultanas
2-3 mashed ripe bananas
1. Bring water, pears and margarine to boil in a saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in honey.
2. Mix together flour, cinnamon, almonds and sultanas in a bowl
3. Preheat oven to 180oC / 350oF.
4. Using a wooden spoon, mix the wet mix into the dry mix, adding the banana at the same time.
5. Spoon into a loaf tin (20cm long) lined with baking paper and bake in oven for 40-50 minutes.
Recipe dated 04/07/05
Recipe dated 18/07/05
Recipe dated 1/08/05
Recipe dated 15/08/05
Recipe dated 29/08/05
Recipe dated 12/09/05
Recipe dated 26/09/05
Recipe dated 10/10/05
Recipe dated 24/10/05
Recipe dated 07/11/05
Recipe dated 21/11/05
Recipe dated 05/12/05
Recipe dated 19/12/05
Recipe dated 09/01/06
Recipe dated 22/01/06
Recipe dated 06/02/06