Recipes from Holly, Kerry, Liz and Lauren 15/5/06
Argentinian stuffed beef with Chimichurri sauce (serves 6)
900g piece of skirt steak, trimmed
1. Butterfly the steak by slicing horizontally from 1 long side to within ½ cm of the other. Open out and pound till an even ½ cm thickness.
2. Spread spinach leaves over meat, then place carrots, eggs, onion rings, garlic, paprika and parsley evenly over the spinach.
3. Roll meat firmly and tie with kitchen string at 3cm intervals.
4. Place beef in a heavy based casserole, cover with cold water and bring to boil, then simmer 45-60 minutes or until form when pressed. Remove beef from liquid, cool, then wrap in plastic and refrigerate overnight weighted with food cans.
5. Combine all ingredients for sauce and stand for at least 2 hours.
6. Serve beef sliced with the sauce and a green salad.
Veal tagine with sweet potatoes (serves 3-4)
|500g veal trimmed and cubed
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 red onions, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
4 tomatoes, quartered
2 orange sweet potatoes, thickly sliced
1 red capsicum, halved and sliced
15g chopped coriander
|Spice mix (NB can buy these already made)
5 teaspoons mild paprika
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon each of allspice, ground cloves, ground cardamom
1. To make tagine mix, combine all spice ingredients.
2. Toss the veal in spice mix. Heat the oil in a casserole dish and quickly brown meat over high heat. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
3. Reduce heat to medium, add the onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Return the veal to the dish and add tomatoes, sweet potato, capsicum and 250ml water.
5. Gently stir, then cover with baking paper and the lid and simmer for an hour or until meat is tender. Garnish with coriander. Serve as is or with rice/couscous.
Recipe dated 04/07/05
Recipe dated 18/07/05
Recipe dated 1/08/05
Recipe dated 15/08/05
Recipe dated 29/08/05
Recipe dated 12/09/05
Recipe dated 26/09/05
Recipe dated 10/10/05
Recipe dated 24/10/05
Recipe dated 07/11/05
Recipe dated 21/11/05
Recipe dated 05/12/05
Recipe dated 19/12/05
Recipe dated 09/01/06
Recipe dated 22/01/06
Recipe dated 06/02/06
Recipe dated 20/02/06
Recipe dated 06/03/06
Recipe dated 20/03/06
Recipe dated 03/04/06
Recipe dated 17/04/06
Recipe dated 01/05/06