Recipes from Holly, Kerry and Liz 10/10/05
Herbed Chicken (serves 4)
4 chicken breast fillets
|¼ cup fresh coriander
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon chopped ginger
1 teaspoon chopped chilli
1. Trim breasts and make criss-cross cuts across one side of each fillet.
2. Combine oil, onions, vinegar, mint, coriander, garlic, ginger and chilli in food processor and process until finely chopped. Brush a little herb mixture evenly over each chicken breast.
3. Place under a medium hot grill and cook for 3-4 minutes per side until just tender. Serve with the remaining herb mixture and a salad.
Mustard Beef Kebabs (serves 4)
|2 tablespoons grainy mustard
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
2 teaspoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons brandy (or orange juice)
|½ cup low fat yoghurt
600g lean rump steak, cut into 2.5cm cubes
2 medium onions, cut into wedges
1. Combine mustard, horseradish, sugar, brandy or juice and yoghurt. Toss beef in yoghurt mixture. Leave, covered, in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
2. Thread meat and onions onto 8 skewers (soaked in water to prevent burning) and grill or BBQ for 5-10 minutes, brushing several times with yoghurt mixture.
3. Serve with steamed new potatoes and green vegetables or salad.
Thai Style Salad (serves 6-8)
|1 large cos lettuce
2 large carrots, peeled
1 or 2 lebanese cucumbers,
6 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
¼ bunch fresh coriander, chopped
few sprigs fresh mint
2 pink grapefruit, optional
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 level tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2-3 teaspoons fish sauce
1. Wash the lettuce. Cut off the hard base and discard the outside leaves. Shred the lettuce and put into a bowl. Cut the carrots and cucumbers into long shreds, using the coarse blade on a hand grater, then add to the lettuce along with spring onions and coriander.
2. Combine the ingredients for dressing in a screw top jar and shake well. Pour dressing over salad and toss well. Just before serving, chop mint and add to salad. Serve with slices of grapefruit.