Christmas recipes from Holly, Kerry and Liz 5/12/05
Spicy prawn and melon salad (serves 6)
1 large rockmelon, cut into chunks
|1 large onion, roughly chopped
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
Tabasco, to taste
Rind of 1 lime, finely shredded
1 bunch rocket, well rinsed and spun dry
crusty bread, to serve
1. Sprinkle melon chunks with 1 tbsp lime juice and set aside in a serving bowl.
2. Place prawns in another bowl, season with salt and pepper and scatter with coriander leaves. Set aside.
3. Place the cumin, coriander and cardomom seeds in a small frying pan over moderate heat and shake until the spices are fragrant, about 3 minutes. Take care not to burn them. Cool slightly, and pulverise in a mortar or in a food processor.
4. Combine the onion and oil in a small frying pan and cook over moderate heat until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Add garlic and cook for a further 1 minute. Stir in the pulverised spices and extra tbsp of lime juice, and season with Tabasco to taste.
6. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Spoon the mixture over the melon, add the lime rind and toss gently. Add the prawns just before serving.
7. Line a platter with rocket and pile the salad on top. Serve with plenty of good crusty bread.
Red pesto dip (makes 2 cups)
|2 cloves garlic, peeled
3 large red capsicums, roasted
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 tsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste
|1/4 cup firmly packed basil leaves
1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
125g light cream cheese
Place all the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings where necessary.
Almond Bread (makes 40 slices)
|4 egg whites
½ cup caster sugar
1 cup plain flour
|1 cup almonds
½ tsp vanilla essence
1. Beat egg whites until soft. Fold in caster sugar and continue beating until shiny.
2. Gently fold in the flour, almonds and vanilla. Spoon mixture into a well greased loaf tin. Bake at 1800C for 25-30 minutes until pale brown.
3. Tip loaf out. Allow to cool completely. Store in airtight container for at least 12 hours.
4. Using a very sharp knife, cut loaf into very thin slices. Place on ungreased oven trays and bake at 1500C for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned (be careful not to burn).
Recipe dated 04/07/05
Recipe dated 18/07/05
Recipe dated 1/08/05
Recipe dated 15/08/05
Recipe dated 29/08/05
Recipe dated 12/09/05
Recipe dated 26/09/05
Recipe dated 10/10/05
Recipe dated 24/10/05
Recipe dated 07/11/05
Recipe dated 21/11/05