Recipes from Holly, Kerry, Liz and Lauren 1/5/06
Beef Stroganoff (serves 4-6)
600-800g lean beef eye fillet
3 tablespoons cornflour
1. Cut beef into wafer thin slices.
2. Place in a bowl with sauce and stand 10 minutes.
3. Boil water and cook pasta for recommended time while preparing rest of dish.
4. Heat oil or spray pan, add garlic and beef, stir-fry for about 3 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add chopped onion and sliced mushrooms to pan, stir constantly for 2 minutes.
5. Blend cornflour with a little of the milk, add to pan with the remaining milk, tomato paste and stock cube.
6. Stir constantly over heat until mixture boils and thickens.
7. Serve with combined fettuccine and parsley and with mixed steamed vegetables or a side salad.
Buttermilk spiced chicken (serves 4-6)
|Hawayji spice mix (make yourself or use a commercial version with similar ingredients):
1 teaspoons black peppercorns
3 teaspoons caraway seeds
1 teaspoons cardamom seeds (from pods)
teaspoon ground turmeric
|700-800 g chicken thigh fillets
2 preserved lemon quarters
250ml buttermilk or plain yoghurt
3 teaspoons spice mix
½ cup chopped fresh dill plus extra for garnish
To make spice mix:
Place all ingredients into a mortar and pestle or spice grinder and grind to a powder. Store in airtight jar.
1. Slash chicken fillets diagonally to allow more effective marinating.
2. Discard flesh and seeds from preserved lemon, rinse skin, pat dry and dice finely.
3. In a bowl combine buttermilk/yoghurt, preserved lemon, spice mix and dill and season to taste. Pour over the chicken, cover and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
4. Bake on a lined tray at ~200C for 40-45 minutes or until cooked through. Serve with extra dill and a Mediterranean salad.
Recipe dated 04/07/05
Recipe dated 18/07/05
Recipe dated 1/08/05
Recipe dated 15/08/05
Recipe dated 29/08/05
Recipe dated 12/09/05
Recipe dated 26/09/05
Recipe dated 10/10/05
Recipe dated 24/10/05
Recipe dated 07/11/05
Recipe dated 21/11/05
Recipe dated 05/12/05
Recipe dated 19/12/05
Recipe dated 09/01/06
Recipe dated 22/01/06
Recipe dated 06/02/06
Recipe dated 20/02/06
Recipe dated 06/03/06
Recipe dated 20/03/06
Recipe dated 03/04/06
Recipe dated 17/04/06