EAT SMART NUTRITION CONSULTANTS
FROM HOLLY, KERRY, LAUREN, PETA, JOE AND PEITA.
"How to make something from nothing! Can’t make it to the supermarket and need to create dinner from what’s in the cupboard? Keep a few staples in the cupboard and you can make a healthy and tasty meal"
Magic Mexican (Serves 4 )
|1 onion, diced
1 can tinned corn, drained
1 can 4-bean mix or kidney beans, rinsed & drained
1 can diced or whole tomatoes
1 jar tomato salsa
½ cup light grated cheese
4 tblsp light sour cream or low fat natural yoghurt
Box of taco shells or tortillas
|Optional: (if you have them on hand!)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp minced chilli or 1 small fresh chilli or ¼ tsp chilli powder
½ cup fresh coriander (if you have a herb garden!)
1 capsicum, diced
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium to high heat. Cook onion until soft.
- Add beans, corn, tomatoes, capsicum and any flavorings you have, except fresh coriander. Mix well and cook for a few minutes to heat. Reduce to a simmer for a few minutes to thicken.
- Remove from heat, add fresh coriander if you have it.
- Serve bean mix with salsa, sour cream or yoghurt, grated cheese and lettuce in taco shells or tortillas.
Tuna & Vegetable Pasta (Serves 4)
400g tin tuna, in oil if possible
1 bag baby spinach
2 cups of any fresh or frozen vegetables you have such as onion, capsicum, zucchini, broccoli, tomatoes, eggplant, carrot, celery, peas etc
|Optional: (if you have them!)
2 tblsp capers
1 vegetable stock cube
4 tblsp parmesan cheese
2 tblsp white wine
- Cook pasta according to the instructions on the packet.
- Cook any vegetables you have on hand until tender. If using frozen vegetables heat through.
- Increase heat to high and add wine if using.
- Add tuna with 1 tblsp of can oil for flavour.
- Add all remaining ingredients including spinach to wilt and pasta.
- Mix well and allow to heat through. Enjoy!
For more delicious recipes please visit The Canny Cook & look for the Eat Smart logo next to weight friendly, heart smart or low GI recipes. Active people can now also find carbohydrate rich and protein rich recipes on The Canny Cook website.