EAT SMART NUTRITION CONSULTANTS
Beef a la mode (serves 6) 9/7/09
|2.5kg piece of chuck steak
1 cup plain flour
¼ cup oil
12 baby carrots, trimmed
1 small celeriac, diced
1 bunch celery, cut into 1 cm pieces
|100g pancetta (or lean bacon) cut into ‘batons’
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
250ml red wine
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 litre beef stock
1 sprig thyme and fresh bay leaves
- Pre-heat oven to 150C. Tie beef securely at intervals with kitchen string.
- Place flour in bowl or on plate, season to taste, then add beef and roll to coat, shaking off excess.
- Heat oil in casserole dish over med-high heat. Add beef and turn occasionally until browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add vegetables and pancetta, stir until browned.remove from pan, cover with foil and set aside. Deglaze pan with vinegar, then add red wine, scrape bottom of pan to raise the sediment and cook until reduced by ½ (5-6 mins).
- Add tomato, beef, vegetable mix, herbs and stock to pan and bring to boil, then cover with lid and bake, turning beef occasionally until tender (~5 hours). Remove vegetables from pan after 3 hours of cooking and set aside.
- Return vegetables to pan, cool to room temp, refrigerate until chilled (3-5 hours). Lift fat from surface and discard, bring to boil, then remove meat and vegetables, cover with foil, set aside and keep warm.
- Strain sauce through a sieve, then cook over high heat until reduced by ½ (5-10 mins).
- Serve sliced beef with sauce, plus vegetables on the side, plus any extras as desired.
We reccomend Butternut Pumpkin Gratin as a great side dish to this recipe
For more delicious recipes please visit The Canny Cook & look for the Eat Smart logo next to weight friendly, heart smart or low GI recipes. Active people can now also find carbohydrate rich and protein rich recipes on The Canny Cook website.